My Thanksgiving Adventures

Yeah, they weren't really too exciting. But I had a good time nonetheless.

Our plans were to be in Moscow during the Thanksgiving weekend, and I thought that meant I would have the opportunity to spend a few final days calling in a whitetail buck in the rut. Not so fast.

We decided, for a variety of reasons to head to Boise for Thanksgiving. But I wasn't going to go for just turkey and stuffing. No, I made sure to call up a good friend of mine near Melba, and have him set up a first class duck hunt for me on Friday. He agreed in exchange for a bottle of whiskey.

He set up the first class duck hunt, and I did my part by bringing along a bottle of Crown Royal, my favorite dessert. Unfortunately, the weather was too nice. Ducks weren't flying. We had duck deeks set up nicely, but the only thing flying around were tons of geese. For those Treasure Valley folks complaining of a lack of geese, I don't know what you're talking about.

My buddy and I sat up in our blinds, passed the bottle back and forth, and tried to call in geese with our duck calls. It was a good time. No, it was a great time.

And that's what it is about. I don't know that I would've traded that time of conversation with my buddy for a "kill 'em" focused time where we get our limits. Sure, it would've been nice to get some ducks. But I'll take the time out in the field with a good friend anytime.

~ J. Bunch

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More